Searching For A Miracle

[Author's Note: Minific attempt at discovering why Dorothy thinks the way she does.]


A.C. 191
"Grandfather, may I visit Papa today? .....Grandfather?"
Duke Dermail had no reply for the pale-haired waif dressed in white who stood patiently beside his armchair. She could see by the scattered papers covered in mobile suit specs that he was busy. Even if he had just taken a break for tea she knew he didn't have any time for trivial things, such as visiting his son-in-law's grave.
Slowly the girl backed away toward the door of the opulent reading room. Without a word she slipped out and, still maintaining a stiff silence, padded down the hallway back to her room. She managed to stay composed until the door was shut. Then she collapsed onto the canopy bed, muffling her sobs with a lace-edged pillow. She didn't even hear the door open.
A hand on her shoulder made her jump. She whirled, lashing out with a pillow in startled defense. The intruder gracefully deflected it with an upheld arm. Her eyes widened when she saw his face and familiar blue uniform. "Cousin Treize! You're back from space!" She abandoned her pillows to embrace him with enough force to knock him over, but he didn't seem to mind. "I'm so glad you came back safe! I heard there was some trouble..." She pulled back and gently touched the bandage covering his forehead that marred his perfection.
"Everything is fine now, for a while." He smiled warmly. Yet there was something in his tone that puzzled her with its meaning, which she showed in her eyes. He shook his head, smiling. "Don't worry about it." He put a finger under her chin to hold her eyes to his. "Now tell me, Dorothy, why were you crying?" His tone was gentle. She didn't mind talking to him.
"Grandfather won't let me visit Papa." She knotted her hands in the lace of her skirts, turning her head away as best she could while more tears fell.
Treize obligingly released her chin. "When was the last time you visited?"
"Last week."
"So you've gone every week for the past year?"
Dorothy sniffled and scrubbed her cheeks. She nodded.
He tenderly took her hands in his. "Maybe that has been enough for now. Dorothy, I'm not saying you should forget him completely. You'll always remember him here." He raised one hand to touch her left temple, brushing an eyebrow on the way. "That's something you must always do. But you should try to move on. There's a future that's waiting for you out there. Don't let your grandfather dictate how you should live. You are a strong young woman, Dorothy. You need to show the world that."
He released her hands. For a moment she hesitated, then brought one up to imitate his gesture. Could she be strong? Treize was strong...and he never cried. She would have to stop crying, if she was to follow this path he had just opened. She looked up at him, her eyes different now. He smiled, intrigued by the change. He wondered how his words had affected her; he was certain he would find out in time.
"There are always battles, Dorothy. Sometimes you fight them within yourself. Yet you must believe in what you want, and only then can you achieve it. You are responsible for your goals, and it is your choice alone how you will reach them."
"What is your goal, cousin?"
His smile became part of an odd expression that at first seemed somewhat dreamy. "I haven't decided yet. But I think I would like to inspire the people."
Then I will make that my goal, as well. Dorothy smiled, trying to copy his expression but ended up looking more oblique rather than musing.
Treize recognized the attempt and took it in stride. If he was going to move the people, where else better to start than with his remaining family?
"Will you teach me, cousin?"
"Teach what?" He stood then offered his hand to help her up.
"The art of warfare."
Treize chuckled as he walked toward the door. "An excellent choice of words. Battle has as much beauty as works of art." He stopped before crossing into the hallway, looking back at her with kind eyes. "Think about those words for a while, then we'll see what you might need to learn."
Dorothy nodded and curtsied. After his footsteps faded she turned to the photo of her parents that rested on the table beside her bed. I'll be strong, Mother, and I'll be brave, Papa. I promise I won't cry. Someday I will fight and be beautiful whether I win or die.

I won't fear death, but my opponent must be very strong to bring me down or else it won't have any meaning.





Back to A Minor Variation


(c) 2001-2004 Autumn Loweck. This work may not be copied, distributed, or reprinted without the author's permission. Characters of Dorothy, Duke Dermail, and Treize belong to the creators of the GundamWing series, Sotsu Agency, Sunrise, Bandai, and whoever else in Japan involved in this most cool anime.

Back to the SubBasement