[Author's Note: Verse order slightly modified to fit story better]

Blessed
by Elton John ("Made in England" album)


AC 201

Quatre stands in the white-walled hallway of not quite a hospital but a laboratory for genetic study -- one he himself helped fund to support the development of test tube babies and gene-adjustment to eliminate the chances of severe health conditions, such as the ones he has that he wouldn't want another to suffer.
He paces like any expectant father even though he is alone in this venture. Then one of the doors open and a doctor emerges holding a small bundle of white blankets. "We've finished all the diagnostic tests. All perfect. Your son can now go home." He smiles and holds the bundle out.
Quatre accepts the baby in classic new-father awe. "My son..." He dazedly looks down.
He gently pulls back the blanket. A small face greets him, looking back with clear green eyes. No more than peach fuzz graces the baby's head. One tiny hand frees itself to wave languidly. Quatre smiles and murmurs, "I only wish I could thank his mother for her generosity..."
"She still wishes to remain anonymous."
"I understand."
He then thanks the doctor and takes his leave, taking meticulous care in holding the baby as he makes his way to his waiting towncar.
At home Quatre enters a small nursery painted in pale blue with a dark blue ceiling decorated with multi-colored stars. A white crib takes up the center of the room with other furniture resting against the walls. A plain wooden rocking chair is near one of the tall open windows. Quatre sits here and smiles down at the tiny life in his arms.
He rises and goes to the crib, carefully setting down the baby then rearranges the blankets fussily. "You sleep now," he whispers. "You deserve it, little Stephen." He smiles and returns to the rocking chair to bask in his own feeling of love for the life he helped create.
He glances up at the three large stars over the crib awaiting stenciling of the baby's full name.
Quatre takes out a slip of paper, a note from Catherine Bloom congratulating him on the baby's 'birth', also including a personal story of the brother she had lost when she was very young. She had suggested a name in his honor.
Quatre smiles in the quiet of the afternoon. "Welcome home, Stephen Triton Winner."





Back to the Fanfic page




(c) 2000-2004 Autumn Loweck. This work may not be copied, distributed, or reprinted without the author's permission. Character of Stephen property of Autumn Loweck (aka Shiri) and may not be "borrowed" or mentioned in other works without notifying the author first. Characters of Quatre and Catherine belong to the creators of the GundamWing series, Sotsu Agency, Sunrise, Bandai, and whoever else in Japan involved in this most cool anime.

Back to TSC's Sub-basement